Benefits of using medical simulators
- Reduced costs for diagnostic and surgical training
- Fast progress on the learning curve through an endless variety of pathologies and anatomies based on MRI/CT data of real patients
- Complication training in a risk-free environment
- Improve knowledge and put the skills acquisition into context using video-based content and reading material
- Access feedback reports and exact scoring system, including learning curves to continue the learning process
- Using the best surgical education available enhances patient safety and quality of care in general. Learners have already learned how to react to complications and have a realistic understanding of the procedure before they perform on a live patient for the first time. These first time cases go better, smoother, and quicker, which makes it a better patient and physician experience.
The 2nd version of E-GALAXY colonoscopy simulator
- Properly, the 2nd version of E-GALAXY colonoscopy simulator is one the advanced medical simulator. This simulator was produced with cooperation and efforts of an interdisciplinary professional team including engineers and medical specialists.
- In previous version, a specific scope was designed for the system. But this version developed with high technology and now is scoreless. So, the users can apply any original scope of their clinic. Using original instruments for training eases the transfer of skills to the real condition.
- In this version, highly realistic graphics, bleeding, and tissue resistance combine to create complete virtual patient cases.
- Objective feedback is the basis for learning. After each completed procedure, the trainee receives a feedback report with metrics, which include time taken, movements with the instruments, and landmarks visualized.
The Sections of E-GALEXY colonoscopy simulator
- Login page
Three groups of users were defined for the system. Login to system was done with a user name and password after registration.
- Student’s section
This section including basic information of users, level of development and training, sum of all score, and average of all score.
- Scoring and statistics
Scoring and statistics were calculated automatically. However, it is possible that scoring was done by related teacher. Moreover, all movies of the procedures is saved together with the feedback report and is available for users. Finally, feedback reports demonstrate as a curve for students and teachers to determine learning process.
- Choose scope
In this section, the user chooses appropriate scope. This section is very important in new version, because of system features were defined base on model of the scope. If mismatch scope was applied, the simulator doesn’t work optimum.
- Admin section
Administrators can create groups and users for students or teachers separately, or allow self-registration into pre-organized groups. In addition, performance report of each student send to related teacher.